Ankara - Atatürk and The War of Independence Museum
Anıtkabir museum is composed of three sections. The first section is Atatürk Museum, at which are exhibited Atatürk's civil and official clothes, his personal belongings, various gifts presented to him, and many assorted documents and photos. In the second section, just dive into the Çanakkale (Dardanelle) War. Audiovisual effects and objects such as rocks, cannons, rifles, guns and shells have been added to this section in order to allow you to perceive the war scenes on the walls as if in three dimensions. The other panoramas depicting the Sakarya Meydan Savaşı and Büyük Taarruz (two of the most important battles of the War of Independence) have also been arranged with the same effect in mind. The third section is composed of recreations of events that took place from the time of the War of Independence (1919) until the death of Atatürk (1938).
Ankara - Etnography Museum
The Ethnography Museum is the museum, where Turkish art from Seljuk era to the present time is exhibited.Public clothes, jewellery, shoes, slippers, samples collected from various regions of Anatolia, womens and mens socks from Sivas region, various bowls, laces, scarves, belts, handkerchiefs, bed sheets, bride costumes, bridegroom shaving sets, old traditional Turkish art are exhibited.Technical material and designs unique to Turks and carpets, weaving benches from Uşak, Gördes, Bergama, Kula, Milas, Ladik, Karaman, Niğde, Kırşehir regions are on display. Among fine art samples of Anatolian Mine arts, there are Mamluk boilers from 15th century, Ottoman sweet boilers, hand washing jugs, trays, coffee trays, meal tables, cups, candle scissors etc. are exhibited.Arrows, bows, lighting pistols, rifles, sword and other things from Ottoman period, Turkish pottery and porcelain and Kütahya porcelains, religious and sect properties, Turkish inscriptions are exhibited with the nice samples.
Ankara - The Museum of Anatolian Civilizations
Selected the European Museum of the Year in 1997, the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations is located on the hill with Ankara's ancient Citadel, in the district called Atpazari (the horse market). The Museum occupies two Ottoman buildings which have been specifically renovated and altered to suit their new role.In accordance with the suggestion by Atatürk that a Hittite Museum should be established, an Anatolian Civilizations project was initiated to gather all artifacts, remnants and other findings of the Hittite civilization in Ankara. Thus launched, the project has grown into one of world's most significant museums sheltering unique collections.
Antalya - Atatürk Museum
The Antalya Ataturk Villa was transferred to the Private Administration and used as Night School of Crafts for Girls and The Institute for Girls in 1939. In 1952, the villa was handed over to the Ministry of Agriculture and used as the office of the Directorate of Technical Agriculture until 1980. After 1980, it was transferred to the Ministry of Culture, restored and opened to the public as the Ataturk Museum.
Antalya - Archaeology Museum
The museum contains 13 display halls, a children's section and open galleries. The objects belonging specifically to the region, are generally presented chronologically and according to their subjects.In addition to the three display windows, in which the fossils of geological periods are presented, the chipped gravel, hand axes, diggers, bone tools found in the Karain Cave and stratigraphies from pre-Paleolithic period to Roman period are presented.Besides the remains which have been found in the 10,5 m thick soil fillings dating from the Paleolithic Period, there are also the tooth and skeleton remains of Neanderthal human beings that had lived in the Mesolithic Period.Semayuk is the only center representing the Early Bronze Age. Most of the artifacts were found in graves, including pots of various sizes, seals, brush handles, idols, and especially gifts for the dead. An interesting landmark is the grave made of a big earthenware jar. The most interesting side of this kind of burial, is the placing of the corpse in the earthenware jar in the position of a baby in the womb of a mother.The statues of the Gods in the hall include the God Zeus (the main God in ancient mythology) surrounded by Aphrodite, Tykne, Athena, Nemesis, Itygieia, Hermes and Dioskurs. On the opposite side, there are the Gods Serapis, Isis and his son Harpo, all of which are of Egyptian origin. The statues are the Roman copies of their Greek original, dating back to the 2nd century A.D., and all of them were found during the Perge excavations.The selected artefacts of different cultural phases dating from 4 B.C. to 6 A.D. are presented in the museum. The vase presented to the Princess of Egypt, Benerike, the Athena engraved on silver plate, bronze Statues of Apollo and Hercules, the head of Attis, the marble Statue of Priapus representing fertility, the earthenware and marble statues are the hall's exhibits of outstanding value.The most beautiful examples of portraits, representing the main character of Roman sculpture, are presented in this museum. All of the statues were found in the Perge excavations.
Bodrum - Museum of Underwater Archaeology
The Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology was established in The Bodrum Castle in 1964. Initially, the restoration of the castle was the priority; later, exhibition halls were created in the available space. Today, there are 14 exhibition halls in The Museum of Bodrum. As is clear from the name of museum, it includes mostly underwater artifacts.The Glass Hall, with is ongoing exhibition of glass and glassware, was opened in 1986, with the assistance of Paşabahçe Glass and Bottle Factory. General information about the museum's glass collection is provided here. The specimens are exhibited in darkness, with illumination from below. This method of exhibition permits beter viewing of all the various markings and colors of the glass. Specimens dated from the 14th century BC to the 11th century AD are on display. The hall also contains an aquarium, which has been set into an indentation in the wall. The aquarium has a small, but detailed model, which illustrates an underwater excavation.All of the specimens found in the excavations of Uluburun between 1984-1995 will be exhibited in Uluburun Shipwreck Hall, which is scheduled to open in 1999. Excavation and research of the oldest shipwreck in the world dated to the 14th century BC was conducted first under the direction of Prof. Dr. George Bass, and later under the direction of Dr. Cemal Pulak, under the auspices of Universty of Texas A.M. and The Underwater Archaeology Institute. This shipwreck was found and dated in 1982 by a team under the direction of T.Oğuz Alpözen, the director of The Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology.
Burdur - Archaeology Museum
The ancient monuments in Burdur and its environs were formerly collected by archeologists and conserved in the library building, which is the only remaining building of the historical Bulguroğlu (Pirgulzade) School. The first steps towards the establishment of the museum were thus taken. The opening ceremony of the exhibition halls of Burdur Museum was held in 1969. Burdur Museum is among the first 10 - 15 museums of Turkey with its 50,000 monuments. The museum, which is very rich in monuments, had initially experienced considerable inadequacy, caused mostly by its lack of space, but has now gained a new identity with its new exhibition halls built in 1998.
Cappadocia - Göreme Open Air Museum
Göreme, in which there are many fairy chimneys and churches, is declared as an open air museum. Tokalı Church, the Priestesses and Priests Monastery, Saint Basil Chapel, Elmalı Church, Saint Barbara Chapel, Yılanlı (Saint Onuphrius) Church, Karanlık Church, Çarıklı Church, El Nazar Church, Saklı Church, Mother Mary (Kılıçlar Kuşluk) Church, Saint Eustathios Church and the Durmuş Kadir Churches, all of which are found within its territories, are valuable places to visit.
The valleys, which are composed of tuff rocks, between Göreme Valley and Aktepe, are known as Büyük and Küçük Kılıçlar. Kılıçlar Church is found in this valley, which has an impressive appearance with tunnels, fairy chimneys and curious shaped rocks.
Cesme - Archaeology Museum
Cesme Archeology museum is located on the fort, which stands in good shape due to various restoration works. The Cesme museum was opened to the public for the first time in 1965, as a gun museum. The guns were brought from Istanbul Topkapi Museum and kept in the museum up to the year 1984. As a result of heavy oxidisation resulting from excessive humidity, the guns in the museum were transferred to Izmir Archeology and Odemis Museums.The hall which had formerly been used as a gun museum, was then re-arranged for the exhibition of various works obtained from the excavations made in Ildiri (Erythrai) archaic city. Sculptures of Gods and Goddesses made of clay, busts, marble sculptures, silver and bronze coins, golden frames and amphorae are being exhibited.
Corum - Archaeology Museum
Çorum and its locals have been demonstrating a considerable interest in archaeology since the first initiatives of Atatürk in 1935 to launch the excavations in Alacahöyük. In addition to those of the Alacahöyük excavations, the unique handicrafts found at Boğazköy, Ortaköy, Eskiyapar, Pazarlı, Kuşsaray and Alişarhöyük had enriched the collections at hand and provided the Çorum Museum with valuable assets when it was first founded in 13 October 1968. Throughout time, the collections have become even richer by exceptional purchases. Besides archaeology, the museum has dedicated a well-designed section to ethnography which successfully depicts the local culture and life.The Boğazköy Museum, which is founded in 1966 in the area of Hattushash, the ancient capital of Hittite, is also affiliated with the Çorum Museum.
Erzurum - Archeology Museum
This museum was brought to life in Complex of Sultan Bayezid II Hospital situated in Yeniimaret quarter in the centre of Edirne. The health-museum project enabled the Trakya University to save this unique historical masterpiece situated in Edirne, which was the second capital city of the Ottoman Empire.Darüşşifa (medical school, hospital) was founded in 1488 in the külliye, which is an Ottoman architectural style that encompasses a complex of buildings centered around a mosque. The medical school remained in operation for four hundred years as of 1488 until the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-1878. Its methods of treating the mental illnesses such as the use of music, water sound and various scents were unique and unprecedented at that time.The Külliye of Sultan Bayezid II was converted into Turkey's only Health Museum in 1993 and received the Council of Europe's Europe Museum Award of 2004
Fethiye - Museum
The idea of exhibiting the opuses belonging to the region in a location in the district that is rich in terms of archeology belongs to the authorities of that period at the beginning of 1960s and the first core of the museum has occurred in those years. After that, large scaled stone opuses collected from the surrounding have been protected in a depot; with the building constructed in 1987, contemporary museum understanding became dominant and the opuses have been served to the visitors. Fethiye Museum consists of two halls, one for archeology and the other for ethnography. Almost all of the opuses exhibited in these two halls have been compiled from Fethiye and its surroundings.A big part of the opuses being exhibited in the archeology part consists of ceramic group opuses. The opuses in the hall have been subjected to a chronological order among themselves. Most important of the opuses covering the period from 3000 BC to the end of the Byzantine period is undoubtedly the stel that had great contributions in decoding Likian language. There is a text on this stel which is written in three different languages. Another important opus of the museum is the "Sculpture of Young Girl with Dove" and the sculpture of two women beside it. The sculpture of the girl with dove is related with Arthemis cult and it is important in terms of its showing the existence of an Arthemis temple in the city in ancient period.
Gaziantep - Zeugma Mosaics Museum
Zeugma is an ancient city of Commagne, currently located in the town of Nizip, forty-five kilometers away from Gaziantep.The significance of Zeugma is the Roman villas and their floor mosaics. Zeugma had captured the public attention, when the Birecik Dam Project brought up the possibility that Zeugma could have been inundated under the dam's waters. Majority of the Roman villas were brought to day light within the framework of a rescue excavation which was intensified in 2000. Yet, the total of the excavations, which were originally started in 1987, have discovered only a small number of these unique mosaics.Today in the Zeugma Mosaics Museum 500 meter square-wide mosaics, 35 mosaic panels as well as the famous 1, 50 cm-long bronze Mars and Aphrodite statutes are in display. The museum is proudly the second biggest mosaic museum of the world.
Hatay - Archaeology Museum
Archaeological excavations were started for the first time in 1932 in Antakya (Antioch) and through those excavations, various cultural and historical documents of a wide range of period from 4th thousand BC until today have been collected. Because of the great variety and number of works found in the first years of the studies, the establishment of a museum in Antakya was decided upon the request of M. Prost, Antiquities Inspector, working in Hatay (Antakya), which was under the French domination. The plan prepared in compliance with the modern museum understanding was applied in 1934. In the museum, whose construction was completed in 1939, works found in three different scientific excavations are exhibited.
Istanbul - Anadolu Hisarı
The castle covering seven acre area and giving its name to the location was built by Sultan Beyazid I (Yildirim) as the front military station of Ottoman in 1395. The building was added "Hisarpence", storehouse and some residental buildings by Mehmed II. In 1928 some repair works were made by kandilli Municipality. Some repairs were made by Ministry of Culture in 1991-1993. Today Anadolu Hisari is within borders of Beykoz Municipality. There is no movable cultural assets in the castle. It has not been opened for visits.
Istanbul - Archeology Museum
The Directorate of Istanbul Archeology Museums that is dependent on the General Directorate of Monuments and Museums of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Turkey is on the Osman Hamdi Bey Ascent that opens to the Topkapi Palace Museum from the right of the Gulhane Park Entry which is in the Sultanahmet district. Istanbul Archeology Museums consist of three museums. Those are Archeology Museum, Old Eastern Works Museum and Enameled Kiosk Museum. Istanbul Archeology Museums, which were established as Muze-i Humayun (Empire Museum) by the famous artist and museum director Osman Hamdi Bey at the end of the 19th century, were opened to public on June 13, 1891. Besides its importance as the 'first Turkish museum', it has an importance and specialty being one of the museum buildings that are constructed as a Museum in the World. Today, it still protects its outstanding place in the World's biggest museums with its works more than a million belonging to various cultures. In the museum collections, there are rich and very important works of art belonging to various civilizations from the regions from Balkans to Africa, from Anatolia and Mesopotamia to Arab Peninsula and Afghanistan that were in the borders of the Ottoman Empire.
Istanbul - Caria Museum
Kariye is located at Edirnekapı section of Istanbul. The dictionary meaning of Kariye (Caria) is "outside of the city", or "rural" in old Greek. The existence of a chapel outside the city walls in very old is mentioned in some sources. The first Khora Church was built on the site of this chapel by Justinianus. The building which managed to survive until the times of the Commenos with various additions and repairs, gained importance when the Imperial Palace Blakhernia near the city walls was expanded. At the end of 11th century Maria Dukaina, the mother-in-law of Emperor Alexi I had it rebuild. The church has a kiborion shaped space whose dome is carried by four arches. During the Latin occupation of 1204 - 1261, both the monastry and the church became extremely run down. During the reign of Andronikos (1282 - 1326), one of the prominent names of the day, the writer, poet and the minister of treasury Theodore Methocite had the monastry and the church repaired towards 1313, and had an annex to the north of the building, an outer narthex to the west and a chapel (Parekklesion) to the south. These new additions were decorated with frescoes and mosaics. Parekklesion, which is a long single naved chapel going along the southern facade, is built above a basement floor. It is partially covered with a dome and the remaining sections are covered by vaults. It has a single abscissa. The outer narthex which runs along the full western facade forms the present facade. The northern wing is only an insignificant corridor. The central dome has a high drum. It is a Turkish period restoration and is made of wood. Outer facades are given plasticity and movement with round arches, half braces, niches and rows of stone and brick. The eastern facade is finished with abscissa extending to the exterior. The middle abscissa is supported with a half arched brace.
Istanbul - Pammakaristos Museum
t is in Fatih - Carsamba quarter of Istanbul. It is Pammakaristos monastery church constructed in Byzantine Period. A grave chapel has been added with the end of the Latin invasion in 13th century. After the conquest, it remained under the control of Christians and used as a women's monastery, in 1455 patriarchate has been moved to this building and the building has been used as patriarchate until 1586.
Istanbul - Hagia Sophia Museum
Hagia Sophia is considered a unique monument in world architecture, and it's magnificence and functionality has been a good example in construction of countless Ottoman mosques. Hagia Sophia with its exceptional history constitutes a synthesis between east and west. This monument is one of the wonders of the world that has remained intact until the present day. One can find many attractions in Hagia Sophia - interesting forms of Byzantine architecture, mosaics of the Christian period as well as structures added during the Ottoman era.Hagia Sophia has been a Christian place of worship for 916 years, then converted into a mosque and served Muslims for 481 years. Hagia Sophia Museum was opened in 1935 and ever since it has been attracting thousands of visitors every year.
Istanbul - Hagia Sophia Museum Mahmut I Library
It is located between two wall supports at the southern part of Ayasophia. It is an interesting product of Turkish construction and decorative arts. It was built by Sultan Mahmud I in 1739. The library consists of a reading room, the room where the books were kept under protection (hazine-i kutub) and a corridor between these two sections. Reading room is separated from the main space of Ayasophia with a glass partition born by six colons with diamond shaped capitals and covered with a bronze mesh. The double doors of the entrance are also covered with a bronze mesh decorated with flowers and scrolling branches and has two handles engraved with "Ya Fettah". The walls of the reading room are decorated with tiles and calligraphic friezes. On the wall opposite to the door, there is the porphyry monogram of Sultan Mahmud I, bordered with green tiles.
Istanbul - Museum of Classical Ottoman Divan Literature
The Galata Mevlevi Lodge (mevlevihane) or as it is also known the Kulekapi Mevlevi Lodge which is now serving as a museum, is one of the institutions which reflect the culture of the era in the best possible way. The Mevlevi Lodges which for centuries combined scholarship with music, had a great influence on the Turkish culture. A great number of those people who came together in a Mevlevi Lodge environment were educated in various areas of fine arts and their names were remembered for a long time as far as science and scholarship was concerned. The Mevlevi Lodge which is located at the top of the steep street going down to Yuksekkaldirim is the oldest Mevlevi Lodge of Istanbul. It was built in 1491, on the hunting grounds of Iskender Pasha who was a governor - general during the times of Sultan Bayezid. Its first master was Mehmet Mehmed Sema-i Celebi. The building was struck by fire during the reign of Sultan Mustafa III. (1766) but was replaced by the existing Mevlevi Lodge by the same Sultan. In later years, the building underwent repairs during the reigns of Sultans Selim III, Mahmud II and Abdullmecid. The institution which carried out its activities until 1925 was once more restored between the years 1967 - 1972. The Mevlevi Lodge which was built as a complex contained rooms and spaces for pray chanting, dervish cells, the quarters of the master (seyh), special prayer (namaz) area for the Sultan, the section for the female members, library, fountain for the public, clock room, kitchen, mausoleums and an enclosed graveyard.
Istanbul - Rahmi M. Koc Museum
The M. Rahmi Koc Museum is situated on the north side of Halic (Golden Horn). It includes a new, largely underground, building as well as the historical 'foundry' (Lengerhane) on the southwest part of site. The two buildings are connected by a glass - sided ramp. The foundry is listed as a grade II historical building and is thought to have been built on Byzantine foundations dating from the 12th century. There is documentary evidence that the building was used for casting anchors and their chains during the rule of Ahmet III (1703-1730). It was restored during the reign of Selim III (1789-1807) and was then used by consecutive finance ministries of the Ottoman Empire and of the Turkish Republic until 1951. Then it was handed over to the State Monopoly & Tobacco Factory in Cibali and was used by them for the storage of alcohol. The roof sustained serious fire damage in 1984 and subsequently the building was left derelict. In 1991 it was bought by the Rahmi M. Koc Foundation for Culture and Museums and this was followed by two and a half years of painstaking restoration work. The museum opened on 13 December 1994.
Istanbul - Rumelihisar Museum
Located within borders of Sariyer district and gave its name to the location, covering 30.000 m2 area. There is a monument-art built in the narrowest and flowing(600m) section of the Istanbul Bosphoreus just opposite Anadoluhisari. Although it is known that the region was called "Hermaion" in ancient ages, historian Dukas does not mention this and indicates the location of the castle hill side of mountain known as Fonea down "Sostenion(Istinye). The names of Rumelihisar are : Kulle-i Cedide in Fatih Charities; Yenice Hisar in Nesri period history; Bogazkesen Castle in Kemalpasazade, Asikpsazade and Nisanci histories. Although Dukas confused about the names and used as Kefalokoptis, no one else except him used this name.
Istanbul - Sadberk Hanım Museum
The Vehbi Koç Foundation Sadberk Hanim Museum occupies two separate buildings. The original building is a three-story (plus an attic) wooden mansion that is generally believed to have been built in the late 19th century and whose architecture was inspired by European vernacular traditions. The building, constructed of wood and lathe-and-plaster on a masonry foundation, was known as the "Azeryan Yalisi" or "Azeryan Yali". The building was purchased by the Koc family in 1950 and was used by them as a summer-house until the decision to convert it into a museum was taken in 1978. The conversion to a museum was carried out between 1978 and 1980 according to a restoration project that had been prepared by Sedat Hakki Eldem. It opened its doors to the public on October 14th 1980 with the Sadberk Koc collection on display.
Istanbul - Small St Sofia
Small St. Sofia Mosque is located between Cankurtaran and Kadirga quarters in Eminonu District, 20 km away from the southern seaside of Mediterranean ramparts. Although it is stated in some sources that there was a pavilion of Big Palace, which is known as Hormidas Palace, and a basically planned church established for Apostle Petrous and Pavlos near Small St. Sofia Mosque, there is no proof which determines their exact locations.
Istanbul - Turkish and Islamic Arts Museum
Turkish and Islamic Works Museum is the first Turkish museum covering the Turkish and Islamic art works wholly. The establishment works that have been started at the end of 19th century have been completed in 1913 and the museum has been opened for visit in the soup kitchen building located in Suleymaniye Mosque complex, which is one of the most important works of Mimar Sinan, with the name of "Evkaf - i Islamiyet Muzesi" (Islamic Foundations Museum). After the announcement of the republic, it has taken the name "Turkish and Islamic Works Museum". The museum has been moved to Ibrahim Pasha Palace from the soup kitchen building in 1983. Ibrahim Pasha Palace, which is one of the most important samples of 16th Century Ottoman civil architecture samples is on the stages of the historical hippodrome, the history of which goes back to the Roman Period. This building, the precise construction reason and date are not known, has been presented to Ibrahim Pasha by Kanuni Sultan Suleyman in 1520, who would be his grand vizier for 13 years. Ibrahim Pasha Palace, which is claimed to be bigger and more magnificent than Topkapi Palace by the history has been the stage of many weddings, feasts and celebrations as well as rebellions and turmoil and called with the name of Ibrahim Pasha after the death of this person in 1536. It has been used by other grand viziers, and had functions such as barracks, embassy palace, register office, Janissary band house, sewing workshop and prison. The palace located around four big internal courtyards has been made of stone in contrast with many Ottoman civilian buildings, most of which are wooden, therefore it could reach today and has been repaired between the years 1966 - 1983 and has been born again as the new building of Turkish and Islamic Works Museum. The section, which is used as a museum today is the big ceremony hall of the palace and the 2nd courtyard surrounding it, which have been the subject of all Ottoman miniatures of the palace and the gravures and tables of Western artists.
Istanbul - Yedikule Hisarı
Yedikule hisari or shortly Yedikule, being one of important architectural arts of Istanbul is on the south of city land water and under authority of Directorate of Hisarlar Museum in the same town.The land part of Hisar was built during reign of Theodosios II (408-450) as the most important entrance of the city walls and also an additional construction was made behind Porta Aurea having an important place in Byzantine history. 4 years after conquer of Istanbul, an inner castle was built by Sultan Mehmet II in 1457-1458. Thus Byzantine and Ottoman Period buildings combined.The walls of Yedikulehisar are in shape of stars.There is one door on city side. No building was made adjacent to walls.There one disdar(castle guard), dizdar assistant, 6 officer and 50 soldiers. There was a disdar's house and 12 guards' houses. Even the traces of shelters and store houses not reaching today can be seen at present. Only a minaret of the mescid remained until 1905 located in the centre of the courtyard and fountain in the front can be seen. The mescid had a quarter which was pictured in a picture of 17th century, and the time of destruction of the quarter is not known either.
Istanbul - Museum of Modern Art
Istanbul Modern is the first private museum devoted to modern and contemporary art in Turkey. As it strengths the creative exchange between the art of Turkey and the West, it presents the artistic and cultural experience of our country to the world. For more information, please visit www.istanbulmodern.org
Istanbul - Topkapı Palace Museum
Topkapı Palace, which was used as the centre of administration and residence of dynasty in Istanbul the capital city of the Ottoman Empire, was completed in 1473 only two decades after Fatih Sultan Mehmet conquered the city. Members of the Ottoman dynasty inhabited in the palace until they moved to the Bosphorus Palaces in the 19th century. By the order of Atatürk, Topkapı Palace was opened to visit as a museum after the proclamation of the republic in April 3, 1924. Having gained a magnificent size and function upon additional buildings and renovations made by the order of different sultans in various periods, the palace depicts the development of the state administration. In the process of time, magnificence and the multi-functionality of the palace protocol and hierarchy was reflected to the architecture of Topkapı Palace. Even the palace became the artistic account of the growth and the fall of the state. With its process of dramatic events decorating the great history of Ottoman Empire, the palace is one of the rare examples to the museums in the world that could reach today with their historical backgrounds. The fact that Fatih Sultan Mehmet was the heir of the empire tradition of Byzantine and the Middle East, symbolized with the conquest of Istanbul, gave rise to dramatic changes in the previous state administration system which was questionably adorned with a dynamic and nomadic Asia-Anatolia tradition. Apparently, this fact provided the monarchy which was composed of the sultan and his family with power, and along with Fatih Kanunamesi (Law of Fatih Sultan Mehmet), provided the palace with a hierarchical structure and solemnity that would consciously adapt to a system of empire. One can gradually observe these changes within Topkapı Palace.
Izmir - Ataturk Museum
The building is in Izmir, I. Kordon (Ataturk Boulevard) built in between 1875-1880 by a carpet merchant, Takfor, as a resident. It was nationalized after abandoned by its owner on 9 September 1922. After entering Izmir, the Turkish Army used the building as its headquarters. During Izmir Economy Congress Meeting, which started on 17 February 1923, Ataturk carried out his private studies in this building. After the Congress, headquarters were moved from this building and the Treasury leased it to Naim Bey to be used as a hotel. During their visit to Izmir on 16 June 1926, Ataturk and Ismet Pasha stayed in this hotel named as Naim Palas. On 13 October 1926 Izmir Municipality purchased the building and after refurbishing it presented to Ataturk as a gift. During his visits to Izmir between 1930 and 1934, Ataturk always stayed in this residence. After Ataturk's death on 10 November 1938, the building was inherited by his sister Makbule Baysan. On 25 September 1940 Izmir Municipality expropriated the building in order to convert it to a museum. On 11 September 1941, on the 19th Anniversary of Ataturk's arrival in Izmir, the museum was opened to public with an official ceremony. After 5 October 1962, the museum has been named 'Ataturk Provincial Public Library and City of Izmir Ataturk Museum'. On 25 December 1972, by the decree No. 12088 of the Undersecretary of Cultural Affairs of the Prime Minister's Office, the proprietorship of the building transferred to Izmir Archeological Museum. After restorations and refurbishment, it was reopened on 29 October 1978 as 'Ataturk and Ethnographical Museum'. On 13 May 1988, the ethnographical items that were in display in the building, were moved to the new Ethnographical Museum. After that it was renamed as 'Ataturk Museum'.
Izmir - Ephesus Museum
The Ephesus Museum (Efes Müzesi), located near the entrance to the Basilica of St. John in Selçuk, displays excavations from the ancient city of Ephesus. The main highlights are two statues of the Ephesian Artemis, frescoes and mosaics.The first exhibit one comes to in the museum is the Roman Period House Finds Room, with artifacts from the Slope Houses owned by upper-class Ephesians. Among the interesting household items recovered are a bronze Eros with the Dolphin from a 2nd-century fountain and a faded 3rd-century fresco of Socrates. There is also a ithyphallic figurine of Bes, found near the brothel. Of Egyptian origin, Bes was a protector of motherhood and childbearing.One of the most impressive and illuminating sections in the museum is dedicated to the mother goddess and dominated by two colossal statues of Artemis. One is called "Beautiful Artemis" and dates from the 1st century AD; the other is "Great Artemis" from the 2nd century AD.
Izmir - Archaeology Museum
The first archaeology museum in Izmir was opened to visit in 1927 at Ayavukla (Gözlü) Church in the district of Tepecik. The second museum was founded in 1951 at the Culture Park. However, since the region is very rich in terms of archeolgical sites, both museums were insufficient and a new and modern museum was needed. It was established on a 5000 sqm area in Bahribaba Park in Konak on February 11th, 1984.The museum was designed to meet any kind of needs with exhibition halls, laboratories, warehouses, photography rooms, libraries and conference halls. The number of monuments on display in the museum building and in the garden is more than 1500. The entrance floor of the museum is devoted to the exhibition of significant archaeological monuments found during the excavations of Iasos, Pitane, Bergama and ancient Smyrna. Busts, portraits and statues dating back to the Archaic, Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine periods are displayed here. The hydrias of Hellenistic period, glassware, coins and a bronze Demeter statue are among the significant assets of the museum. On the enterance, the marble statutes are exhibited.
Konya - Konya Archaeology Museum
The archeology museum has been opened for the first time in the building that is at the southwestern corner of Karma Secondary School in 1901. In 1927, the works have been moved to Mevlana Museum and in 1953 to Iplikci Mosque for exhibition. In 1962, today's museum has been established and given to service. Our museum exhibits works belonging to Old Bronze, Mid Bronze (Asyrrian Trade Colonies), Iron (Phrygian, Urartu), Classical, Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine Periods, starting from the Neolithic Period.
Konya - Mevlana Museum
Mevlana Dergahı (Dervish Lodge) which is presently used as a museum formerly the Rose Garden of the Seljuks Palace it was given as a gift to Mevlana's father Sultanü'l-Ulema Bahaaeddin Veled by Sultan Alaeddin Keykubad When Sultanü'l-Ulema died on 12 January 1231, he was buried in the present grave which is in the mausoleum. This was the first burial ever to take place in the Rose Garden.After the death of Sultanü'l-Ulema, his friends and disciples approached Mevlana and expressed their wish to build a maussoleum over his grave. Mevlana refused this request remarking "How could there be a better mausoleum than the sky itself?).However when he died on 17 December 1273, his son Sultan Veled accepted the request of those who wanted to build a maussoleum over Mevlana's grave.The mausoleum called "Kubbe-i Hadra" (Green mausoleum) was built by the architect Bedrettin from Tebriz for 130.000 Seljuk dirhem (currency) on four elephant feet (thick columns). After this date, the construction activities never ceased and continued in stages up to the end of the 19th century.Mevlevi Derhgahı (Dervish Lodge) and the mausoleum started to function as a museum in 1926 under the name of Konya Museum of Historical Works. In 1954 the display pattern of the museum was once more taken up and it was renamed as the Mevlevi Museum.
Nigde - Archaelogical Museum
Having gone through a long, effortful restoration process, the Archaeological Museum of Niğde was reopened in 2001 in its renovated building and was nominated by the Turkish Ministry of Culture and Tourism to the European Museum of the Year Award in 2003. Since then, the museum has been receiving appreciative remarks for its high quality exhibition displays and museum management.The first exhibition hall reveals the artifacts, tomb relics and figurines of the Neolithic and Chalcolithic ages discovered particularly in the excavations of the Bor district. The unique items from the Late Bronze Age and the Assyrian Trade Colonies are on display in the second exhibition hall. Additionally, the findings from Nahita and Tuvanuva, two very significant late Hittite city states, are among the precious assets of this museum.Coins and mummies are also not to miss.
Sanli Urfa - Sanliurfa Museum
Urfa is rich for its history and historical works and finds.Firstly, National Education Director Avni Günal offered the construction of Urfa Museum in 1948. In December 8, 1967 the museum construction used as museum management and displayed to society in 1969.There are 3 archeological and 1 etnographic display halls in the museum.It is in Şehitlik Neighbourhood in the city center. Şanlıurfa Museum is the fifth, biggest museum in Turkey with its 74.000 works and finds. The oldest statue on the earth, 'Baliklogöl Statue' is exhibited in Şanlıurfa Museum. You can find cultural objects of many a city in their museums. But it is impossible to place the all cultural and touristic values of Şanlıurfa into a museum. Şanlurfa is the city, where the most archeological excavations have been performed in Turkey. In this aspect, the city center and the town centers have been declared as 'Open Air Museum'.
Side - Archaeology Museum
Located in Side town of Manavgat District. 8 km. from Manavgat. Ancient agora bath from A.D. 5-6th centuries, dating from Roman Age, was restored in 1960/61 and converted into a museum.The majority of exhibits in the museum are the ruins discovered by Prof. Dr. Arif Mufid Mansel in excavations during 1947-1967, in the ancient town of Side. There are inscriptions, weapon embossing from Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine Periods, sculptures which are Roman Period copies of Greek originals, torsos, temples, tomb steles, portraits, ostotecs and column pedestals on exhibition in the museum.
Sinop - Archaeology Museum
One of the earliest attempts at building museums in modern Turkey was the Sinop Archaeology Museum in 1921. The museum moved to its current building in 1970.
Found in the surroundings of Sinop, particularly during the excavations in the Demirci Village / Kocagöz Höyük in 1953, the earthenware with or without handles, vases with or without stands, other artifacts such as axes and spearheads and jewelry pertinent to the Bronze Age are on display.In the first exhibition hall and on the gallery, various coins from the Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Seljukid and Ottoman periods accompany the shipwreck found in the Black Sea and the amphorae that are among the unique assets of the museum.In the Icons sections, a rich collection of icons from the Byzantine Empire is on display. In various heights and sizes, the icons depicting scenes from the lives of Jesus Christ, Mary and Evangelicals attract much attention of the visitors.
Tekirdag - Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography
The ancient name of Tekirdağ is Bizanthe and the town has acquired its contemporary name from the Tekfur Mountain in the southwest.Tekirdağ Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography is founded in 1967 and having undergone some restoration is now in the possession of display halls exhibiting stone artifacts, tiny archaeological figures, ethnographic arts and folkloric embroidery and tapestry peculiar to Tekirdağ. Also, numerous archaeological items from the Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantium and Ottoman eras are in the outdoor display in the wide garden of the museum.In its collections, the museum holds 14051 items among which 1066 items are on display.